Whitley Bay vs Jarrow Roofing

Ebac Northern League Division 1
April 4, 2017
Score: 2 - 2

Match Report

Two former Whitley Bay FA Vase winners came back to haunt their old side as Jarrow Roofing drew 2-2 at Hillheads.

Liam Brooks put the home side ahead early on but Paul Chow and Lee Kerr, both former Bay favourites, scored with absolute screamers to ensure Roofing went in ahead at the break. The lead was not to last long, though, as Kyle Patton levelled five minutes into the second-half to ensure a share of the points.

Whitley Bay dominated the opening exchanges, with Roofing struggling to get out of their own half. On eight minutes, the hosts finally made all their possession pay as Brooks set Potter free down the right before the winger got to the byline and crossed to the front post, where Brooks was on hand to volley in.

Michael Mackay volleyed over the bar from a corner four minutes later, but Brooks then went close again on 16 minutes. He found himself in space on the edge of the area, with his back to goal, he dug out a powerful effort that Lewis Brass did well to tip around the post.

Two minutes later, Roofing were caught out by a quick free kick, and Brooks controlled it to put himself though on goal, only to fire across the face of goal.

Good work from Chow almost lead to Roofing getting back on level terms on 23 minutes. The former Whitley Bay man received the ball on the right wing and picked out Kerr in a central position. The midfielder set himself but drilled his shot just past the post from just outside the area.

However, the former Bay legend would soon go one better than that on 35 minutes as he produced a sensational strike to drag Roofing level. The veteran marksman received the ball from Kerr 35 yards out, with his back to goal, he turned his marker and smacked his shot into the top corner. Thomas Flynn could only stand and watch as it flew past him.

Chow might have thought his sublime strike would have been the goal of the game, but another former Bay star, Kerr, had something to say about that as he turned from provider to goalscorer to give Roofing the lead on 44 minutes.

Anth Myers controlled a quick throw in on halfway before threading the ball through to Kerr. The midfielder bombed forward before rifling a shot past the helpless Flynn from 30 yards.

The home side came out firing in the second half and peppered the Roofing goal with shots. After sending a few shots wide in the opening minutes, the equaliser came on 50 minutes. Christopher McDonald’s volley from inside the box cannoned back off the post and fell to the feet of Patton, who tapped into an empty net.

The chances began flowing for both sides after that, with Darryl Donnelly having to hack a deflected effort off the line to keep the hosts at bay, while Dennis Knight saw his free-kick on the hour rebound against the post from 20 yards and scrambled away from danger.

Whitley Bay began to control the game after that and left Roofing hanging on slightly. Alex Kempster came close on 70 minutes for the hosts as he received the ball and split the visiting defence with a direct run. He managed to get himself into the box but fired into the side netting with just Brass to beat.

Despite both sides bombing forward to try and grab a winner, neither side could manage another real chance on goal, and Roofing held out for a good point against a side looking to break into the top five.

- Dan McSkimming

Roofing Man of the Match: Lewis Brass

Next match: Shildon (H), Saturday April 8 2017. Kick-off: 3pm.

Venue Information

Hillheads Park

NE25 8HR

Whitley Bay