Heaton Stannington vs Jarrow Roofing

July 12, 2017
Score: 0 - 3

Match Report

Jarrow Roofing emerged as 3-0 winners from a pre-season friendly at Heaton Stannington following a tough workout against the Northern League Division 2 promotion hopefuls.

After Saturday’s defeat in Scotland, where the Roofers went down 3-0 at Selkirk, the Roof faced a competitive Heaton side with the hosts starting quicker than the visitors. However, with both teams initially getting distance into their legs, neither goalkeeper faced any real pressure in the opening 45 minutes.

It was different after the break, however.

With Roofing trying different variations of formations and personnel, and with some players turning out for their first minutes of pre-season, once the team hit their stride, it was a different task for Heaton to stay on level terms in the second half.

Roofing progressively took a grip on the game and possession, and Paul Gardiner almost gave the Roofers the lead five minutes after the restart. A left wing cross was fired over and Gardiner darted inside his marker to glance a header goalwards only to watch as the ball rebounded off the base of the post before being cleared to safety.

July 2017 vs Heaton Stan


It would take a further five minutes before Roofing grabbed the lead.

Shaun Newbrook’s long kick bounced inside the Heaton penalty area and Chris Winn, with his endless harrying of the ball, managed to get ahead of the defence before being bundled over from behind and earning a penalty. The forward took it himself and gave the goalkeeper no chance as he drilled the ball high into the net to give Roofing the lead.

The woodwork saved the hosts again on 69 minutes when Darryl Donnelly laid the ball off from the left into the centre where Lee Kerr advanced before striking the crossbar with a 30-yard-shot.

Five minutes later the second goal did arrive.

Another left wing delivery saw the ball eventually drop to Winn and his snapshot was parried by the keeper to Gardiner who hooked the ball in to make it 2-0 to the South Tynesiders.

Roofing were in a good stride and Winn was again instrumental as they grabbed their third goal of the hot evening on 85 minutes.

Turning just inside the Heaton half, Winn released Tom Bailey with a through-ball and the  winger held off the defence before cooly clipping the ball over the advance goalkeeper to wrap up a good 90 minutes for the Roofers.

- Andy Hudson

Venue Information

Grounsell Park


Heaton Stannington